- 500g of minced beef
- 6 red Asian shallots, finely chopped
- 25g of crisp fried onion flakes
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 long red chilies, seeded and finely chopped
- 20g of finely chopped coriander leaves
- 5 tablespoons of chilie garlic sauce
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups of fresh breadcrumbs
- To make the burgers, put the beef, shallots, onion flakes, garlic, chilie, coriander chilli garlic sauce, egg, breadcrumbs and 1 ½ teaspoons of salt in a large bowl, and knead well with your hands until the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Using wet hands, devide the beef mixture into four equal portions, roll each portion into a ball, then flatten it slightly to form the patties.
- Preheat the chargrill plate to medium direct heat.
- Brush the patties lightly with oil and grill them for 5-6 minutes, or until they are well browned and cooked through.
- A few minutes before the patties are done, toast the bread, cut-side down, on the chargrill plate for 1-2 minutes, or until it is marked and golden.
- Devide the lettuce among four of the toasted bread slices.
- Add a patty, season the burgers with salt and pepper, then top with the remaining toasted bread.
- Delicious served with pineapple mint salsa. – Serves 4